A few months ago, I wrote about red bumps on the upper arms which spurred more questions about skin care for the body.
Skin on the body has fewer oil glands than skin on the face so it requires different care.
Some general rules when it comes to skin care for the body:
* use warm water, not hot, when you shower or bathe
* use an unscented, moisturizing body wash or gentle bar soap
* apply unscented moisturizing cream to the skin while still damp for maximum effectiveness
* use a body lotion with SPF 15 or higher on any areas that will be exposed during the day
A prominent concern among my clients is acne on the chest and the back. Often, these breakouts are deep cysts that require systemic treatment like antibiotics.
If they are more surface breakouts, try the following tips:
* shower after working out, sitting around in sweaty workout clothes will aggravate the acne
* wash your body AFTER rinsing conditioner from you hair, heavy conditioners can clog pores
* use a 10% benzoyl peroxide body wash in the shower once a day to kill bacteria and lessen break outs
Do you have concerns about the skin on your body? Post your questions in the comments section and I will answer them!